The first time I tasted “Indonesian Beef Rendang” was at a small restaurant in Goa. I was in love with this dish from the very first bite. My recent visit to Indonesia provided me a chance to experience this dish made in the original Indonesian style.
Apparently the dish from Goa and the rendang I tasted in Indonesia were as different as apples and oranges. So, I had to upgraded by personal Indonesian Beef Rendang recipes and incorporated some new elements in it.
During my Indonesia tour, I tasted many dishes but the Rendang remains my favourite. So I updated my dish, cooked and served it to couple of my friends and they actually loved it. So I would love to share my recipe with you guys and thank you all for reading by blogs.
Identifying the original Indonesian Beef Rendang :
Do you remember Willy Wonka’s three-course-dinner chewing gum ? Beef Rendang flavours should unfold in a similar manner. You will first taste a flavor that is a bit zingy due to lemongrass and ginger. Then there is the mouth watering beef with torrent of chili. Last but not the least, at the end while you chew your bite, you notice a “Coconut cream flavour” which makes the dish even more irresistible.
Indonesian Beef Rendang | Image Resource : 3.bp.blogspot.com
Time to Cook :
- Salt = 1 teaspoon
- Ground coriander seed = 1 teaspoon
- Ground turmeric = 1/4 teaspoon
- Fresh roughly chopped ginger (2.5 centimeters)
- Garlic roughly chopped = 4 large cloves
- Roughly chopped shallots = 200 grams (4 large shallots)
- Chili pepper flakes to taste = 3 tablespoons
- Vegetable oil = 2 tablespoons
- Beef shanks (short ribs cut into large cubes) = 900 grams
- 2 smashed stalks lemongrass (white part only)
- Kaffir lime leaves = 4 leaves
- Place the spices, peppers, shallots, ginger, garlic, salt, and ground red pepper in a blender and create a paste.
- Put the Kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass, pepper in the pan and place the beef in the pan. Cook it over medium heat. Season the beef, stir occasionally until the meat is not pink. Cook it for 15 minutes and let the meat juice evaporate.
- Pour the coconut mixture in the pan. Boil it for 15 minutes. Let the coconut turn thick and allow it to simmer.
- Remove the pieces of beef to a bowl, and let the coconut milk continue to simmer until thickened, for about 30 minutes. Put beef into a pan, simmer it until the sauce turns brown and oil is separated from the coconut. This will take around two and half hours. Stir frequently and let the sauce thicken.
- Your dish is ready to be served.